This project is read-only.

nHydrate and LightSwitch

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:47 AM

Just found the MS LightSwitch Beta 1 site. http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/lightswitch

After spending a couple of hours reading their blogs and watching the training videos I am pretty sure that this is where I am heading.

Will nHydrate be able to play a role in this exiting new frontier?

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:04 AM

The newer EFDAL solution is build on Entity Framework. My current understanding is that lightswitch will be able to use RIA services to retrieve and persist data. We are supporting this through the EFDAL. As such I do not see any reasons why nHydrate will not work with lightswitch. 

This statement should be taken with an understanding that at the present time no official testing has been done with EFDAL and lightswitch.  I would suspect that we will start looking closer at this technology and its ease of integration with EFDAL in the near future

If you feel like taking on the project or if you have already attempted a first pass. Please contact us we are very interested in the results. 

Sep 15, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I have used the LightSwitch Beta to create a test application and I found it inferior to nHydrate in its data handling features. 
LightSwitch does not have built in Auditing.
It does not support many-to-many relationships. 
You cannot apply a Unique constraint on a column/property.
I am sure there are other shortcomings compared to nHydrate in data handling.

The data entry screens LightSwitch generates are a pleasure to use and it almost completely eliminates the tedium of creating a UI (of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder). 
It has built in Authentication and Authorization (Windows and Forms) and a Permissions infrastructure that is easy to understand and use. 
Being built on SilverLight you get the full trust desktop application and the browser based sandboxed web application with the same UI code.
It generates 2-tier and 3-tier desktop apps and 3-tier web apps.
The Beta download integrates into VS2010 Pro and you select a LightSwitch template like you would any other project template and in C# or VB.

The Beta is buggy (expected) but has enough potential to keep me interested.

My skills base is insuffient to be tester for you.  I still do not know how to use RIA services.  My background is VBA in Office Apps and I am just starting to learn C#. LightSwitch is similar to MSAccess on steroids that is why it is appealing to me. 

When I found nHydrate it just seemed like the easiest way to handle data that I have ever seen and now that I have found LightSwitch it appears to be the easiest way to build an application that I have ever seen.  I am just not sure how to put the two together or even if it is possible.

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:09 PM

We really appreciate your feedback. We are trying very hard to make a product you like. I use this product in day job everyday. We are trying to make sure our back end data layer can be used from a variety of products.

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:07 PM

It may not be necessary for nHydrate to generate UI layers like LightSwitch, but could nHydrate provide "best practices" of UI layers that interact with nHydrate generated code layers?