How to Create a 'Module'?

May 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Love v5.0!  One question though, I see the 'Use Modules' feature, and I read up on it in the User Guide, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to create a new Module.  Help!

Coordinator
May 16, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Hello. You will need to select the nHydrate model tree. On the root node, right-click and select "Add New Module". You can do this for any number of modules. Secondly, click anywhere on the model canvas to select it. In the properties window, toggle the model property UseModules to true. Now you must assign every element to some module. To do this right-click on the model canvas and select Model menu and select the "Module Associations..." menu. This will open a dialog where you can assign model objects to modules.  Now when you generate code there will be a new project for each generator type (like EFDAL) for each module. So if you generate the EFDAL, Interfaces, and Installer for 2 modules, you should expect to see 6 new projects added to your solution. Each EFDAL is an independent API and can be used to interact with the database objects that it contains. 

I am making a video for this soon. This will be on YouTube in a few days, hopefully.

May 18, 2012 at 1:11 AM

This is awesome.  Well I followed through with your instructions, and created 2 modules.  I then assigned all elements to either one or the other module, and I'm able to pass Verification.  However, when I try to Generate, I get Visual Studio's rude "object reference not set to an instance of an object" error before the Generate dialog ever shows up. 

I just wanted you to be aware of the issue, this isn't any show-stopper for me.  I'll try some different things to work around it.  Thanks again for the great work!

Coordinator
May 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Please send your model to me at chrisd@nhydate.org if you would. I would really like to see that is going on!

Coordinator
May 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM

This was an issue breaking the model in modules with an inheritance chain. You had one or more tables that were inherited from others being broken into modules. This issue has been corrected and will be in the next release.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I have this issue too.  How can I use nHydrate from source code?

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Scholastic do you have the error in the designer? This should have been in the version released after May 18. What problem are you exactly having?

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM

If anyone is having an issue, please send your model to chrisd@nhydrate.org with a small description of the error. I would very much like to correct any issue that might exist.