Upgrade Process - 4 to 5

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Edited Jun 17, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Hey Chris,

I finally have time and the necessity to upgrade an existing project to version 5+. I have a fresh installation of Visual Studio (2012) and nhydrate 5.1.2.119.

My project has an older module wrapped around nhdal and one wrapped around efdal. I know that the bulk of my work will be converting the nhdal code to efdal.

However, the real question begins how do I upgrade my wsgen file to the new file format. I cannot seem to find the process in any discussions/release notes or the user guide. Obviously, visual studio will not open the wsgen file in anything but XML and if I rename the file to *.nhydrate opening it corrupts the file.

Any guidance you might be able to provide will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

-- UPDATE

After some digging I found if I create an empty model and right click in the field I can click utilities and import legacy.

I now get the following message:

"An error occurred while importing the legacy modelRoot"

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve
Jun 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Codetools must be on vacation, he deserves it! Anyone else have any thoughts about how to get this darn model upgraded?

Steve
Coordinator
Jul 3, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Please send your model to chrisd@nhydrate.org. this is odd. I need to look at it.
Jul 12, 2013 at 10:43 PM
I appreciate you taking a look at the model Chris thank you.

I have more questions I am currently seeking answers to, and will post here and update as I come across answers. If you have any input into any of them feel free :)
  1. Maintaining the version history, after getting the upgraded model back from you the version it wants to install is 0.0.0.3.1 the current version of my database is version 0.0.0.3.123. Should I just increase the model version to 0.0.0.4, and because this is the case it has obviously lost the changes since the last install, what will it try to install in the database and is there anyway to maintain the version history maintained in the older system table?
  2. Still on the database installer, I keep the db installer in source control and I notice the newly generated one has a substantially different folder structure. Should I just do a complete branch of my source control when I ramp the model version to 0.0.0.4? I would obviously prefer to maintain the same trunk, but am concerned only because most of the old files (including the generated update scripts 0.0.0.3.1 - 0.0.0.3.123 will appear to foundation server as deleted.
Thanks in advance,

Steve
Jul 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Looking at the daunting task ahead of me to move to the 5.X modeler, I will have to wait until I get the older project transitioned from NHDAL to EFDAL. I fear that maintaining the models separately will be horrifying.

Can I install the old 4 line in Visual Studio 2012? How much of a chore would it be to make these compatible?

Here is the process for the eventual transition (when I get the older project moved to EFDAL).
  1. Upgrade the model to the new modeler.
  2. If there are verification errors fix these and generate/publish using the old 4.X generator and retry (1).
  3. When there are no verification errors on the upgraded model increase the model version number and generate.
  4. Verify the non-generated code files in the EFDAL have had their code retained, should be right?
  5. Fix any resulting errors in the calling code(s), there shouldn't be any right?
  6. Publish application with new modeler generated EFDAL.
  7. Proceed happily to continue producing new modules under the new modeler enjoying the model management features tooo.
Please provide thoughts and input if you have any.

Hopefully, I get the NHDAL dependant module updated this year.

Thanks,

Steve