Better Solution Structure

Jul 2, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Hello,

First I would like to thank you for creating such a marvelous and powerful tool. Best code generation tool I have ever laid eyes on. Has so much potential and more.

Now on with my question and request.

I have a need to have my solution highly organized and absolutely must organize my projects by horizontal tiers. When designing n-Tier applications it seems best to organize the layers logically inside Visual Studio to eliminate clutter.

I use the following folder structure in VS 2010

1. Client -Silverlight

2. Presentation - WinForms, ASPX, WPF 

3. Hosting - WCF, Remoting, ASMX

4. Service - Service Contracts

5. Business - Business Objects

6. DataAccess - DAL would live here

7. Database - Installer would live here

Solution Items

And may need to add other layers to represent some of the generated projects nhydrate creates that don't settle well in my current structure. My problem is I'm not sure if I am mapping the projects generated to the correct layer some of them are obvious and a few are not. The other thing is that nhydrate dumps all the projects into the root solution node and if you create this folder structure and move the projects into them and have to generate code nhydrate will throw errors and fail to generate any code as it can no longer find the projects.

Is there a way to have nhydrate create a custom structure to add projects to so we can organize larger projects using solution folders I have investigated the generators and cannot seem to pinpoint where we could make it generate a solutions folder to add the project to so it would know where it is and can function. Can you point me in the right direction so I can add this functionality or can you make the project provide this capability. I would be willing to consider sponsoring this feature. I need it badly. Also is it possible for you to give me your take on where the generated projects fall within the scope of the layers I outlined above just want to make sure my mind is right.

Thanks